Monday, May 3, 2010

Why do we help?

I engaged in an interesting discussion with my wife yesterday. "Why are you helping other applicants?" I was stopped in my tracks for a moment and wanted to quickly defend myself by saying "well, it's all public information, I'm not providing any secrets that you can't find out anyway". But then I really thought hard about why me and other past applicants help out by answering questions and giving tips.

I think I may have got it. Well, it's my best answer for now anyway. We understand what other applicants are going through because we went through the same process. We scoured the internet for tips and any statistics that will help us be more confident, be more prepared, because it IS a big step and whatever happens will change our lives forever. At least that is what we think when we are in the process of it all, essays, interviews, etc...

In the end, even though getting the extra information may help, the true value is that you will feel more confident, more prepared and that may add a little bounce in your step, a little more passion when you speak, and I think that makes all the difference. You want to get to that state where you feel like you can take on anything the world lashes at you, that's when you perform best.

So there, I'm helping out because I know what it feels like to be an aspiring MBA student, and I'm merely providing common sense tips and public information that will not thwart the intricate admissions process to ensure a fantastic class.

No comments:

Post a Comment