Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What business school cannot teach you

During the Thanksgiving holidays last week, I visited my wife's Grandmother Millie in Chicago. At a young age of 93 years, she is witty, very much mobile and plays a mean game of Scrabble. Throughout the couple of days, I find myself practicing my note taking skills as I scribble down quotes and meaningful advice as she doles them out at random times. Here are the best ones:

Grandma says:

Personal Development
- "laugh out loud and laugh often"(as she points to a plaque on the wall) "that's the secret to long life!"
Facing Adversity
- "live your life one day at a time, and be flexible when things happen"
Strategy
- "do what the kids tell you to do" (she gestures to my mother in-law) "until they are gone" (she grins)
Profit through ethics
- "I follow the angel in my heart"(she points to her chest) "and the devil in my head" (pointing to her head with a cheeky smile)

and my favorite advice she has for an MBA student like myself:

Prioritization and time management
-"less loving and more studying!"

We will miss her dearly and I expect during the tough times throughout the year, I WILL remember her kind words of wisdom.

We love you Grams!

Grandma Millie and Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment